Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens
The Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a lightweight, compact L Series telephoto zoom lens with
optical image stabilization (IS) providing an amazing four stops of shake correction.
In a Nutshell:
* Suitable for all Canon EOS SLR cameras, both film and digital
* Zoom range: 70-200mm -- good focal length range for portraits, travel, sport, wildlife
* Equivalent focal length for APS-C sensors: 112-320mm (1.6x crop factor)
* Image stabilizer (IS) -- up to four stops of "camera shake" correction
* Ring-type USM (Ultrasonic motor) for high-speed, silent auto focus
* Lens Construction: 20 elements in 15 groups
* Closest focusing distance: 3.94 ft/1.2m
* Filter size 67mm
* Compatible with Canon 1.4x and 2x converters
* Lens Size: 3" (76mm) diameter, 6.8" (172mm) long, weight 26.8 oz (760g)
* Price: $1,132.55 to $1,447.29
This is an L-series lens featuring fluorite UD lens elements for superior optical performance, plus
water-and dust-proof construction to meet the demands of professional photographers.
At only 6.8" (172mm) long and weighing 26.8 oz (760g), the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is an ideal lens for
assignments where there's a need to travel light without a compromise in performance or image quality.
This lens can be used on
all Canon EOS bodies, including 35mm film cameras and digital bodies with full-frame, APS-H and APS-C format sensors.
On APS-C format bodies (Digital Rebels/300D-500D; 10D-50D, 7D) the 1.6x lens magnification or crop factor
gives an equivalent focal length of 112-320mm.
User Review Roundup for Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
* Super-sharp images
* Very fast autofocus
* Very efficient IS
* Superior build quality
* Compact size
* Odd size filter (67mm)
* No tripod collar
User Ratings Roundup:
Star Rating (max 5): 5
Points Rating (max 10): 9.7
What Users Are Saying:
"Simply amazing! It is tack sharp, not too heavy, and doesn't look out-of-place on a Rebel-sized body.".
"This lens is truly great! Incredibly sharp even wide open at f4, and the IS works fantastically well.".
"The one annoying thing: it takes 67mm filter, which is a unique filter size.".
"I cannot say enough good things about this lens, and highly recommend it.".
"Everyone's comments about how wonderful this lens is are true. It's sharp, quick to focus, fairly
lightweight and a joy to use.".
Manufacturer's Feature List for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4:
* L-series optics
* Light and compact
* 4-stop Image Stabilizer
* f/4 through zoom range
* Fluorite and UD lens elements
* Fast auto focus
* Environmental seals
* Super Spectra coatings
* Circular aperture for pleasing background blur
* Soft case and lens hood
* Portrait photographs at short-end (70mm or 112mm)
* Candid photography, street scenes, reportage -- f/4 maximum aperture through zoom range
* Sport, light weight means can move around and hand-hold, no need for monopod
* Wildlife - IS allows hand-holding in game drive vehicle, extra reach with 1.4x converter
* Travel - fairly light and compact, f/4 max aperture for available light shooting
Now that you have read about the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM telephoto zoom lens, you might also want to
see our article covering Canon Zoom Lenses in general.
Return to Canon Lens Reports