Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Zoom Lens
The EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is a recently introduced standard zoom lens with a wide range of focal lengths, making it the ideal
multi-purpose, travel and walk around lens that's likely to become a favorite of those using sub full-frame Canon EOS digital cameras.
In a Nutshell:
* Only for use on Canon EOS digital SLR cameras with APS-C format sensors
* Zoom range: 18-135mm, giving equivalent focal length of 29-216mm (1.6x crop factor)
* 4-stop Image Stabilizer (IS) with automatic panning and tripod detection
* 6 blade circular aperture gives pleasing background blurring or "bokeh"
* Lens Construction: 16 elements in 12 groups, including one UD-glass element
* Closest focusing distance: 18"/45cm
* Filter size: 67mm
* Lens Size: 3" (75.4mm) in diameter, 4" (101mm) in length
* Lens Weight: 16 oz./455g
* Price: $349 to $399
The Canon EF-S 18-135mm is a standard zoom lens that is being offered as a "kit" lens with the semi-pro Canon EOS 7D body, which
suggests Canon holds the lens in high regard.
The jury is still out on some aspects of the lens, but user reviews are generally favorable, with the majority of users lauding the lens for
its versatile zoom range (29-216mm equivalent) and all-round usefulness.
To combat camera shake, the 18-135mm incorporates Canon’s latest image stabilizer technology that Canon claims will provide up to four stops of camera shake compensation.
Automatic tripod detection disables IS when a tripod is used, while auto panning detection turns off the IS in either the horizontal or vertical
direction when following moving subjects.
The Canon EF-S 18-135mm is compatible with:
* EOS Digital Rebel (300D)
* EOS Rebel XT (EOS 350D)
* EOS Rebel XTi (EOS 400D)
* EOS Rebel XSi (EOS 450D)
* EOS Rebel XS (EOS 1000D)
* EOS Rebel T1i (EOS 500D)
* EOS Rebel T2i (EOS 550D)
* EOS Rebel T3i (EOS 600D)
* EOS 20D
* EOS 30D
* EOS 40D
* EOS 50D
* EOS 60D
* EOS 7D
The lens will not fit on any EOS 35mm film bodies, or EOS digital cameras with full-frame sensors (1Ds and 5D range) or APS-H sensors (1D range).
User Review Roundup for Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
* Fast and accurate autofocus (even though no USM)
* Sharp images
* Excellent IS
* Wide zoom range
* Decent build quality
* Chromatic aberration (CA) at long end
* No zoom lock
* Lens creep
* Barrel distortion at wide end
User Ratings Roundup:
Star Rating (max 5): 4.3
What Users Are Saying:
"An excellent walk around lens at an excellent price ."
"Buy this lens if you are looking to upgrade, have limited funds, and want more reach compared to the 18-55."
"While the 18-135 is generally a reasonible kit lens, it is not the right lens to do the capabilities of the advanced 7D justice."
"All in all, I would say this is a decent, above average lens targeted to the non-professional market."
"Lens creep is still a problem."
Manufacturer's Feature List for the 18-135mm:
* High power, all-purpose 7.5x, 29-216mm equivalent, EF-S zoom
* 4 stop Image Stabilizer
* Automatic panning and tripod detection
* 0.45m close focusing
* UD and aspherical lenses
* Super Spectra coatings
* 6-blade circular aperture
* Optional lens hood
* Extremely versatile, ideal for travel and walk around lens
* Good for landscapes and group shots at the wide end
* Portraits at mid- to long end
* Sport and wildlife at long end (in good light)
See also Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS for
a more standard zoom that's often supplied as a kit lens with Canon EOS entry-level digital SLR cameras, or return to
Canon Lens Reports for additional articles.